Dear Trade Partners,
As Hong Kong faces the challenges of dealing with the coronavirus, I would like to update you on the measures and initiatives the Hong Kong SAR Government and the Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) are taking to respond to the evolving situation.
1. Government measures
The Hong Kong SAR Government has implemented a host of measures to combat the novel coronavirus infection, from stepping up health surveillance to putting in place boundary controls to reduce the flow of people between the mainland and Hong Kong. Please click here for a full list of the latest measures and click here for travel health advice provided by the Department of Health on preventing pneumonia and respiratory tract infection.
2. Communications and visitor services
- We have been providing instant updates on HKTB’s official website “DiscoverHongKong.com” about the latest Government measures and have created a dedicated section with travel tips for visitors, including information about the status of attractions.
- We are maintaining limited services for in-town visitors. Normal operations are being maintained at our Visitor Service Centres at the Hong Kong International Airport and in Tsim Sha Tsui, while other centres have temporarily closed to optimise resources. We have also extended the daily operating hours of Hotline Services for both visitors and trade partners, including hotels and shopping malls, from 9am-6pm to 9am-9pm.
Unavoidably, we have to make a number of changes to current and upcoming promotions and trade activities. We have:
- Suspended our “Hong Kong is ON” tactical campaign in all markets. However, we are continuing to operate the campaign website showcasing the latest flash sales offers for in-town visitors and Hong Kong residents.
- Cancelled our participation in the Guangzhou International Fair (20-22 February).
- Postponed the following events: Travel Mission to the UK (2 March), Consumer promotion in Manila (5-8 March), Travel Mission to Taiwan (31 March)
- We are currently reviewing participation in the ITB travel show in Berlin (4-8 March)
4. Tourism Overview in March
The Tourism Overview is a very important annual event at which we gather and share with you our latest plans so we can work closely together and coordinate our promotions. The event was scheduled to be held on 18 March but has now been postponed. We will work on a new date and review the event format before proceeding with this essential communication session.
We will continue to closely monitor this highly volatile situation and to tailor our business plans in response to developments. We will also keep you informed and reach out to hear your views and suggestions.
Thank you for your continued support in these difficult times.